Saturday, April 28, 2012

Museum Britannis

Yesterday afternoon I put off my reading to go to the British Museum for about an hour and a half before we had to be back to our flats for a meeting. Hey--I'll only be in London once, right? And I did get my reading done today, so that worked out.

We walked down the street and jumped on the Underground, and then after a few stops it was out and down the street and around the corner to come upon this:



Side note: To me, travel here all kind of becomes a blur. Down crowded streets, in and out of subway stations, the sound of cars whizzing by, the creaking of the trains, the talk of the people... Sometimes it gets a little overwhelming. There are SO many people here, and the British Museum was no different. It was packed. You can easily get lost in there, and Kenzie and I definitely got separated from our group and wandered around for awhile before finding them again.

Anyway, because we only had a short time, we just picked a couple things to see, but what a "couple of things" they were: The Elgin Marbles and the Rosetta Stone! It's kind of weird to see all these things and realize that they're the genuine articles and not just some copy or fake. The Elgin Marbles are statues from the Parthenon in Athens, brought to England by Lord Elgin in 1811. They're rather famous, and perhaps you'll recognize them:





There were lots of people with their nice little stools sketching all the statues.


A couple halls over there was a cluster of people all huddled around a glass case, so we figured it must be something significant. Yep--the Rosetta Stone! I kind of had to elbow my way to the front for this picture. I hope you all appreciate the trouble I went to for this shot. ;)





I was kind of tired at this point. But never fear--the British Museum has not lost its charm, and I will be back another day to partake of its wonders in their entirety.

For a rather interesting experience that happened to us while we were waiting for the rest of our group outside the British Museum, see my friend Kenzie's blog--go to this post and skip to the bottom. She tells the story better than I do. It involves crazy creeper Italian men.

No comments:

Post a Comment