Saturday, April 28, 2012

Going to Hellenism in a Handbasket

Apparently in the study of classics there's a divide between the Hellenists (those who specialize in Greek) and the Romanists (those who specialize in Latin)--or is it the Latinists? I don't know. I studied Latin, but I must admit that I'm rather partial to Greek statuary. There's something so...real about them. A sense of life force, or something like that. Looking at these statues, I can see how Keats and Shelley were inspired to write poetry by sculpture. Art inspires art, so I'm told.


My favorite statue I saw: "The Trentham Mourning Woman"




Naiads (water nymphs)




Of course, I didn't look at the inscriptions very closely, and there's a lot of overlap in the mythology and the art of the Greeks and the Romans, so some of this could be Roman...



Heck--it's all Greek to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment