Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Sit in the Flat and A Walk Along the Thames

It is super late, and I am absolutely exhausted. It's kind of strange, though, because my roommate Becca and I spent a good part of the morning and early afternoon just SITTING HERE in the flat writing our silly papers. Sadly, homework must be done even when one's classroom is in London.

This is my view from the window of my bedroom. I actually rather like it.



My roommate's bed, not mine, in case you were wondering. :)

Finally, at about 3:00 (excuse me--15:00) we couldn't take being cooped up anymore and decided to go for a walk along the Thames, because even though we had been to Westminster, which is right on the Thames, we hadn't actually seen the river. So we hopped on the Tube and rode over to Westminster Station. Of course, this meant more pictures of the London Eye and Big Ben.


Ready to get out!


Just coming out of the Tube station



Look, Big Ben again!


We decided to walk over Westminster Bridge and go down Queen's Walk for a bit.


One side of the bridge...


The other side of the bridge...


Queen's Walk and the Aquarium (closed). We'll have to come back another day. We'll see if that plan ends up holding water. Hee hee hee. (Get used to the puns, people--there will be a lot of them.)


The architecture is so impressive here.


 Westminster from the opposite side of the Thames




Back over the bridge, jiggety jog.


On the Westminster side I saw this statue with the inscription "BOADICEA, Queen of the Iceni, Who died A.D. 61 after leading her people against the Roman invasion." It caught my eye because I am intrigued with the roles women have played throughout history. Boadicea led her people in a revolt against the Roman empire, and routed a Roman legion and razed the city Londinium to the ground (yes, Londinium = London). Interesting character, isn't she? Again with the history--it's absolutely everywhere, and I love it.

I must admit that our walk along the Thames was somewhat like the plot of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. UP the river, and back DOWN the river, and NOTHING HAPPENS. Ever read that book? Oh, the horror. I know I'm being reductive and simplistic, but it's my blog and I'm tired and I'll do what I want. :) Hmm. Perhaps it's time to give that book another go.

Speaking of books, the play we saw as a class today was Matilda, based on the children's book of the same name by Roald Dahl. Becca has a lot of the pictures from that particular adventure, so I'll post about that when I get them from her tomorrow. But now, I am going to bed. Goodnight, one and all.


1 comment: