Wednesday, May 9, 2012

One Does Not Simply "Walk Through" the Victoria and Albert Museum.


That's probably one of the major things I've learned here: there is absolutely no way to cover one of the major museums of London, such as the Victoria and Albert, in one afternoon. It simply cannot be done. Even going through two small parts of the museum completely wore me out.



Let me explain.

Yesterday (I didn't blog because my evening was consumed writing papers and figuring out itineraries and getting very tired and grumpy in the process) my class went on an excursion to the Theatre wing of the V&A, this being a theatre program and all. The V&A originated because of the Great Exhibition in the Crystal Palace during Queen Victoria's reign--once the Exhibition was over, the monarchs ordered a museum built to house everything that had been shown in the Exhibition. The museum has obviously expanded over time as it has acquired new works.


On the way up to the wing we saw this hanging glass sculpture. The V&A Museum is this huge building that has sculptures and artwork and everything you could think of to put in a museum tucked into every available space. Tastefully, of course.

Once we had gone up and down stairs, around corners, through several rooms and a couple of corridors, we arrived in the theatre wing, a showcase of everything to do with British theatre.

There, I...


Saw a ballerina costume just like the ones I always pictured as a child...


Sighed over elaborate dresses like this one...

Scar
Sarabi
Ooohed and aahed over costumes from The Lion King...


And stared down a rhinoceros. Grrr.

After spending awhile in the jewelry exhibition next door (Ooh--shiny!) and wandering 


up 


and down 


and through several more exhibits, I was ready to call it a day for the museum. Like I said, you can't take this place all in one go. Especially if you haven't eaten a decent breakfast beforehand. Which I hadn't. I am coming to realize more than ever before the importance of breakfast after being out and about all day.

Outside the V&A you can still see some damage from the bombing of London in World War II. They've left it there purposely; the inscription reads:



Like I've said before, history is such a presence here, and in some ways it has become more real to me walking around this city. I am grateful for all that has endured and for the people who have worked so hard to actively preserve it.




No comments:

Post a Comment