Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fringe Benefits

Last night my class went to a "fringe theatre production." This, for those who don't know, means off West End (London's West End is like Broadway in New York), away from the company of shows like Wicked and Phantom of the Opera. It was a new experience. Instead of going down to Leicester Square station and emerging to streets full of people and theatres on every corner, we got off the Tube at a station I had never been to before and walked for a little while before turning down a quiet residential street to a theatre above a pub called the Lion & Unicorn.


The pub


The lovely residential street


Dorothy, we ain't in Kansas no more.

But that was totally okay. This little theatre has a good reputation for putting on high-quality Shakespeare plays, and though the play was low budget and the space limited, I enjoyed the more intimate theatre setting for their rendition of As You Like It. After a huge, spectacle-driven production like Matilda, it was kind of fun to see the opposite, where the text and the acting was allowed to shine through. So no, it wasn't West End, but it was good, and I enjoyed it. Except when I was sitting in the front row and thus was up close and personal when one of the actors had fake blood all over his mouth. That was kind of gross. Another reason I'm an English major--I don't do well with the sight of blood, even the fake stuff, so any major in the medical field was certainly out the window.


This was a purple tree. And I took a picture because I had never seen a purple tree before.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment