Thursday, May 17, 2012

Five Feet from Will Smith

So I have a confession to make. A few, actually. So here goes:

I've never seen any of the Men in Black movies. I've never watched much of Will Smith. And I don't really love huge crowds. So what was I doing yesterday at the Men in Black 3 gala premiere in Leicester Square?

Honestly, I didn't really know.

But by the end, I was glad I went. It was definitely a new experience. It seems I've been having quite a few of those lately. I went because my roommate here, Becca, REALLY wanted to go and try to get a picture with Will Smith at the premiere yesterday, so I kind of tagged along for the ride. I mean, I didn't think we'd actually get in, right? 

Right??

Well, there were four of us that went, and when we came up to the barrier the security guards weren't letting people in. Well, that was that, and I was fine with it. Except it wasn't. After a few minutes, almost before I knew what was happening, we were let in to join the crowd around the blue carpet. Um, okay--didn't see that coming. Immediately I felt very out of place. Like I said, events like this really aren't my thing. We waited for about two hours for a glimpse of Will Smith and other members of the MIB3 cast. I kept thinking to myself how many hundreds of people would have loved to be in my rather reluctant shoes, and I felt semi-guilty for not appreciating this event for what it was. But hey, it was fun. The music, the anticipation of the people, the energetic atmosphere. And, as luck would have it, my camera was dead, and Becca's only took a few pictures before her battery gave up the ghost as well, so there are no pictures to document my presence at this event. But I really was there--promise!

A picture Becca took of Will Smith when he was several yards down the blue carpet from us
And at one point, I was this close to them. THIS CLOSE. Like "within 5 feet" close. I could've reached out and touched them. That's pretty cool, isn't it? How many people can say they've been five feet from Will Smith?

Well, I guess now I can.


1 comment: