Wednesday, May 2, 2012

National Portrait Gallery and Trafalgar Square

Some friends and I set out this afternoon after class to go and see some sights, and we made a quick stop in Camden Market because Jasmine wanted to see if she could find her umbrella that she may have left in a shop there.


This is Camden Market. I didn't get a very good picture of it, but there are shops and stalls up and down this street ranging from tattoo parlors to tour centers to stores with frilly women's clothing. We actually stopped at a stall that sold women's coats. And I was so proud of myself--the guy running the shop was trying to get me to try one on, even though I didn't want to, and I successfully kept a cool head and didn't waver in my determination. Hahaha. I consider that a triumph, considering I have allowed myself to be persuaded against my wishes before. I do have a backbone, thank you, so take THAT, coat stall owner! Sha-ZAM. 

Anyway.... the real reason for our outing was to go to the National Portrait Gallery and then down to Trafalgar Square.


The National Portrait Gallery

This place was amazing. All the portraits of famous and not-so-famous people throughout time combine to paint a larger portrait of British history. I think portraits are particularly compelling because they help us see the people of history. It's so much fun to see what you can discover about a person by looking at their portrait. I saw all the portraits that you see in the textbooks. 

Henry VIII
Queen Elizabeth
Shakespeare
King Charles I
Milton
Queen Victoria

All the greats. Wow. I feel like I learned so much about history just walking through and reading the captions.

As we neared the 21st century I was about beat, but we covered pretty much that entire gallery, and we were so proud of ourselves. So much fun. Then, of course, we went down the street to Trafalgar Square. Even though it's a central place for big events, there was nothing going on while we were there, but it's one of those iconic London places that you have to go see at least once. 




KayCee and I: The classic "Look, I was here!" photo.


Left to right: Caroline, Ariel, Lacy, KayCee


The National Gallery. We were way too tired to tackle two galleries in one day, so we'll have to come back to this one later.


A Scotsman was playing the bagpipes when we were in Trafalgar Square. I know some people hate the bagpipes, but I love them. There's something so stirring about listening to them. Perhaps it's the Scottish blood I have running through me veins, yah?


Of course, another view of Westminster and Big Ben.


Official Olympic Countdown Clock: 86 days!



St. Martin-in-the-Fields church


This is Nelson's Column, built to commemorate Admiral Horatio Nelson, who died in the battle of Trafalgar fighting against Napoleon. He is one of the most well-known and influential British officers. They really put this guy on a pedestal, don't they?



One of the lions at the base of Nelson's Column

1 comment: