Friday, June 1, 2012

Shakespeare Sites

Day two of Stratford was a grand tour of all the sites associated with the great William Shakespeare. We started the day with 

Mary Arden's Farm (more on that in the next posts--Shakespeare's mother's house),





went to Ann Hathaway's Cottage (Shakespeare's wife's family's farm...get all those possessives?), 


and then rounded things out with the Birth Place (Shakespeare's birthplace...duh),


New Place (which I oddly seem to have missed taking pictures of--where Shakespeare lived when he came back to Stratford and the place where he died. It's not an actual building--just the foundations. It's an excavation in progress),

Hall's Croft (the house of his daughter and son-in-law), 


and Trinity Church (where the Bard is buried).



Of course, my camera would die right before I went into the church. But never fear--I'll steal one of the pictures my friend took of Shakespeare's grave soon.

You know all those quaint little cottages you see in storybooks? Well, they were all modeled after Anne Hathaway's Cottage. This is the real deal.


And can I just say that I love the flowers here? Love, love, love them. We've seen some of the most glorious wildflower gardens that I've ever seen in my life, and it makes my heart happy whenever we see one.



And the climbing rosebushes? My gracious.



No comments:

Post a Comment