Friday, June 1, 2012

The Cotswolds

I loved the Cotswolds--the rural part of the country we drove through yesterday. We got up early and bid goodbye to Stratford, wending our way home by way of the Cotswolds and Oxford. It's almost like the Industrial Revolution skipped over this place, so in some ways is much as it was 200 years ago.


Rolling hills


Quaint stone villages


Sheep grazing in the fields


Baby's breath everywhere




Pictures don't do this place justice, really. I can see why coming to these sorts of places inspires art, whether it be a painting or a poem or a song. I can see why Maria von Trapp just had to sing when she went to the hills, because I felt like I had to run and jump and sing as well. It's hard to understand if you haven't been someplace like this. These places, with all their history and their charm, resonate with something inside of me. There is nothing so majestic as God's good earth.


I think part of my soul belongs to the countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment