Monday, June 4, 2012

Changing it Up

The guard changed. And we were there. "We" being Abby, Brittany, and I on Friday.

The guard at the barracks
With the preparations for the Queen's Jubilee, some of the places that would normally be open were closed, so it was a bit crowded. We didn't see much that happened inside the gates, but we saw them all go marching in with all their pomp and pageantry. The British are big on spectacle and ceremony, and even though I didn't actually see much, I wasn't disappointed.


The big outdoor ampitheatre for the Jubilee concert this evening.


I love marching bands. And bagpipes. I think I already mentioned this. So stirring.






While we were standing there waiting for the ceremony to start, Abby and Brittany and I were talking about what we've learned from this trip and how we will be different because of it. These were a few of the things I thought about:

  • I am more likely to go to the theatre more often and see productions. I've learned a lot about what makes a quality theatre experience, and I've seen a lot of great stuff here. I know that the theatre that will be available to me back at home isn't exactly of the same caliber as what I've seen here, but I've become a better appreciator of theatre and I'm pretty sure I will continue to go throughout my life. There's a vitality about live theatre that you can't replicate with film or other art forms.
  • I have gained more of a sense of place. At home, living there for so long, I didn't really have a sense or appreciation of where I was and the things that were available for me there. I want to go back to my hometown and do all the cool things there are to do there--some that I've done before, some that I haven't done for a really long time, and some that I've never tried. And since experiencing a place is better with company, I'm going to make my family do it with me. :)
  • Like I've expressed before, I have a better sense of history and its value. I wish we as Americans had a better sense of our heritage sometimes. I am more determined now to learn more about my history as an American, as a member of my faith, and as an individual. Family history, here I come!
Walking through St. James's Park after the changing of the guard, I felt perfectly content. I think I've learned better on this trip to enjoy the moment, even if I'm not doing anything particularly exciting. Just being here, just walking through the park, can be something to savor.


Especially when you see quaint little Swiss chalets once used by the birdkeepers of the park.

So like I said, the guard changed. And I was there. But I think that when I was there I realized better in some ways how being here has changed me. I have been very grateful for this experience, and I hope--well, I know--that I am better because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment